Tuesday 25 July 2017

Type 1 Diabetes - My Diagnosis

Well, it's been a while!


Image result for type 1 quotesImage result for type 1 quotes


I used to start blog posts with "sorry its been so long" or "its been a while" but this time it really has been a while, I can't even remember the last time I opened up my blog and write a blog post. However that doesn't mean I haven't had so many idea's going around and around in my head but life just gets in the way and as I am about to explain below my life over the past 6 months has definitly taken a massive turn, not specifically for the worst but a lot has changed and I have taken a lot of time out to try and get to grips with my new life style and the person that I am today, even though I am still not 100% there I am definitly on my way and I am enjoying learning new things about myself on a daily basis.

As many of you will know if you follow me on social media in Febraury I was very suddenly diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I have had a number of people message me on my social media asking me questions such as "how did you know?" "what did it feel like?" "what is diabetes?" "what is type 1?" "what's the difference between type 1 and type 2?" "did you eat to much sugar?" so below I am going to explain to you all how I came to be diganosed with this condition and my life leading upto this diagnosis and hopefully open many minds to how it occurs.

Myself and my partner Tommy had a weekend in Amsterdam planned for valentines day in February, in the weeks leading upto this from around the middle of January my body started to feel different, I was constantly tired, constantly! My body was exhausted, in the mornings it was a struggle to wake up, all day all I could think about was sleep and early nights/lying in my bed was all I craved 24/7 however as I work in London and I had a long commute every day I just assumed this was starting to takes its toll and ignored the fact that my body couldnt function without atleast 9 hours sleep.

My appetite was gone - for anyone that knows me they will know that this is a big indicator to me not being well as I cant lie I LOVE food. My stomach couldn't take any type of food, I just didnt have an appetite, ever. Not even for a nandoes and I am ALWAYS up for a Nandoes.

I was drinking 5-6 litres of water a day, ANYTHING liquid that caught my eye, I drank it. I was thirsy constantly and I could never get enough, no matter how much I drank I always needed more and more and more, there was no barrier. This then lead to my 3rd symptom below -

I was waking up 3-4 times a nigh to go to the toilet, my bladder was constantly full due to the amount of liquid I was consuming (this is one of the main symptoms of Diabetes, along with the constant thirst) however It still didn't register to me that I could have Diabetes.

As the weeks went on my symptoms persisted however my body started to drastically detiriate and I started to go into a Diabetic Ketoacidosis.  This is where my body started to completly run out of insulin which caused ketones to rise in my body causing my body to break down fat for energy, this caused me to loose almost 2 stone within the space of 2 1/2 weeks, if Ketoacidosis is not treated early enough it can be life threatning.
The week before we were due to leave for our weekend away to Amsterdam I started having trouble breathing, I was constantly out of breathe and the littlest of chores completly took my breath away. My breath STUNK (not nice I know) but my breathe became really unpleasent and this was caused by the build up of acid within my body, this also caused me to get sevre dry mouth which woke me up most nights.
Even though I experienced all of these symptoms I thought I had a cold and I still never even thought to check what else it could be as you never think these things could happen to you right?

The day we left for Amsterdam (we drove there) I slept the whole 7 hour journey as I was so exhausted and my body was slowly giving up on me (again I thought I just had a bad cold) We arrived at the hotel and I physically could not make it from the car to the hotel without assistance from Tommy. All energy had exscaped me and the Ketoacidosis started to take over. I threw acid and blood up 6 or 7 times and I had excruciating pain in my lower back where my Kindeys were starting to fail, I then passed out and my boyfriend had to rush me to hospital where I was taken into intensive care due to my blood sugars being at 47 which is fatal and it needed to be treated urgently for me to survive (a normal persons blood sugar is between 4-7) I was in intensive care for 3 days where I was brought around and my blood sugar levels were put under control by the AMAZING doctors and nurses at the St Lucas Andreas Hospital. This is when I was told I had Type 1 Diabetes - I was kept in hospital over in Amsterdam for a week until I was stable enough to be flown home. Now my daily life is testing my blood sugar levels as many as 10 times a day, injecting myself with insulin before I eat any type of carb and giving myself a dose background insulin to help me stay stable through the night and day. It is not a walk in the park and I am now my own dietician as I have to count ALL carbs that I eat to work out my insulin ratio and I have to measure how much insulin to give myself daily to keep myself alive/stop myself from having low and high blood sugars.

Not only has the diagnosis changed my life for ever but leading up to it and the near death experience. I urge ANYONE who feels that their body is out of tune out of the blue to visit a doctor as soon as possible as it is always better to be safe than sorry. You know your body better than anyone and if you dont feel that something is right there is a very big chance that you are right.
If anyone is suffering from similar syptoms that I have stated above - please go to a doctor. They say that Type 1 Diabetes is usually genetic however noone in my family suffers from this condition. It is an autoimmune condition which kills all insulin within your body. - IT IS NOT FROM EATING TO MUCH SUGAR!

I am hoping to be posting on here a lot more often not only with new fashion and makeup posts but now also posts on Type 1 Diabetes and life with this condition. In no way am I claiming to be an expert after only being diagnosed for 6 months however I do feel that Type 1 is a condition that a lot of people lack knowledge on as it doesn't get enough coverage.








No comments:

Post a Comment

A pipdig Blogger Template